Monday, January 26

virtues

My small group leaders asked us to come up with a list of virtues for our lives - a list of characteristics that will determine the choices we make, and therefore, the paths we take, regardless of emotion, circumstance, or pressure of pleasing others. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Practice forbearance, or patient endurance and self-control; abstaining from the enforcement of a right. According to Rob Bell, forbearance is an act of kindness where retaliation is expected. Basically: I will choose to love my enemies, do good to those who hate me, and pray for those who mistreat me because that is how Jesus loves.

2. Exercise modesty, but not in the way one might initially assume. Of course I will dress appropriately, but modesty is so much more than that. Modesty protects our purity - the hidden person of our hearts. It is a lack of pretentiousness, freedom from vanity and boastfulness, and a moderate estimate of one's own worth or importance.

3. Seek wise counsel. It is far too easy to make careless mistakes in life. Discipleship allows us to draw from the experience of those wiser than us, as well as share our mistakes with others so that they don't have to repeat them. This, of course, includes the Wisest Counsel of all [Who should be my first resort].

4. Foster compassion. I will protect my soft heart from becoming calloused by sharing in the heartache, pain, and sorrows of others. I will help them to bear their burdens and take the time to listen, even when, no, especially when it is inconvenient. When I can't sit through a geography lecture on genocide without tearing up, I won't get frustrated with myself. Rather, I will realize that such a reaction is a reflection of the heart of God.

5. Offer beauty. I will not be beautiful for vanity's sake, but rather serve those around me with my loveliness. I will be a life-giver, inviting my brothers and sisters into peace and encouraging them to enjoy life.

6. Be vulnerable. I will boast in my weaknesses and share my life with others. I will be open and honest with those around me, in hopes that Grace will be the resounding theme that those who listen to my story will be unable to ignore. I will make no apologies for who I am.

7. Exhibit bravery. In light of the fact that my middle name means "Lion of God," I will not fear new or unfamiliar things, but rather embrace them as adventures in which The Strong God will partner with me.

No comments: