Thursday, January 29

maybe the buses should have seat belts

Today I was riding a North-South bus en route from my Human Geography class in the instructional plaza to my Language Disorders class in Aderhold. Just as we were turning by the coliseum, a Volvo decided to pull out in front of the bus, forcing the driver to slam on his brakes. The next thing I knew, my bookbag and I had been ejected from our seat, and was sort of flying through the sparse crowd standing around the front section of the bus. I landed a foot or two away from the driver with a pair of knees that would have been skinned without the protection of my jeans, staring up into a dozen pairs of eyes that looked as shocked as I'm sure mine did.

The next thing I realized was that my bookbag was on top of my chest and that the bus was still moving towards the next stop, which was mine. I pulled myself up and lumbered back to my seat, where my classmates began demanding a slew of reassurances that I was, in fact, okay. At this point, we had about four minutes to run a quarter of a mile to our class. I jumped off the bus and jogged down Carlton Street, arriving just in time.

Turns out, the only injury I actually sustained was minor: I jammed the ring and little fingers of my left hand. It hurts to type, which is an important part of my job, but thankfully, I'm not scheduled to work again until Monday.

Maybe the buses should have seat belts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, maybe so, plus also, maybe an auditory alert when they're about to slam on the brakes, like the lady who does all the voicemail prompts, she could cut loose and little and do like a "attention, abrupt halt ahead" ... anyway, sorry about your injury. I hope you feel better. But, one question, it sounds like you were the only one who went sprawling? Why is that?

kirbylee said...

I'm not sure. I think it's because the seat I was sitting in had no sort of barrier in front of it like the others. I think the voicemail lady is an excellent idea.

Sorry I have to ask, but are you a Robert that I know?

Chelsey said...

Those UGA buses...

I was on the bus once freshman year, and it was packed to maximum capacity. The bus turned a corner, and some girl almost fell out of the back door.