Monday, January 26

kirby.arielle.lee

Because I love Zion,
I will not keep still.
Because my heart yearns for Jerusalem,
I cannot remain silent.
I will not stop praying for her
until her righteousness shines like the dawn,
and her salvation blazes like a burning torch.
The nations will see your righteousness.
World leaders will be blinded by your glory.
And you will be given a new name
by the Lord’s own mouth.
The Lord will hold you in his hand for all to see—
a splendid crown in the hand of God.
Never again will you be called “The Forsaken City”
or “The Desolate Land.”
Your new name will be “The City of God’s Delight”
and “The Bride of God,”
for the Lord delights in you
and will claim you as his bride.
-Isaiah 62:1-4
I love the concept of Zion; apparently it used to refer specifically to a mountain near Solomon's temple in Jerusalem, the dwelling place of the Spirit of God, but over time its meaning expanded. Think about it: where is the dwelling place of the Spirit now? Hint:
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? -1 Corinthians 6.19

"For we are the temple of the living God." (2 Corinthians 6.16) I suppose that makes you and me, figuratively speaking, Zion. Curiously, my first name means "church settlement" (in Old Norse), "village where the church is" (in scandinavian), or, if you will allow the stretch, "Zion."

My dad named me, and while I'm certain these thoughts hadn't crossed his mind when he signed my birth certificate, I refuse to accept this as coincidence. My middle name, Arielle, is hebrew for "Lion of God." I guess that is where the whole fierceness thing comes from. The imagery alone sends chills down my spine, for the courage that He has called me to is already part of my identity. All that's left for me to do is test it out - be brave.

And then there's Lee.
"Always remember, there is nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name."
-The Avett Brothers, Murder in the City
Lee means "sheltered from the storm." How very fitting. Kirbylee, as my dearest friends often call me, literally means "church settlement sheltered from the storm."

I love my name. Thank you, big jim.

1 comment:

Mike Christmas misses you said...

First off, Murder in the City is one of the best songs in existence. And second, as soon as I read "Lion of God" I instantly had a vision of you head butting that wall at Seteca playing wall ball. Fierce.