Monday, July 21

this is me

My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best of what God made. -Robert Browning

I feel sexier in a climbing harness than I ever did in a prom dress or heels. hands down. I'm obsessed with fiber. I love peppermint tea, and teapots in general, for that matter. Sometimes I sew patches on blue jeans and old sweaters. I like birch trees and easter lilies. I listen to music much too loudly and have a mild bilateral low-frequency hearing loss as a result. My dream car is a solar-powered subaru outback. I'm growing my hair out again. I keep cloth grocery bags in my car.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

Plaid gets me every time. So do messenger bags, suspenders, scruffy faces (thanks dad), deep voices, and nerd-talk. I have too many shoes, and keep my favorites in the trunk of my car next to my jumper cables. I enjoy yoga and meaningful song lyrics. I love to sing and dance (but I'm sorry if you've experienced either of these). Becoming a vegetarian wouldn't be that huge of a lifestyle change for me, but I could never be a vegan because I like milk, yogurt, and cheese too much.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My plants are my pets. I'm terrified of fish, splinters, abandonment, and aliens. Forgiveness is the most beautiful concept that I have encountered thus far in my short years. I like to wake up early. My favorite subject is anatomy, but language is a close second. My aspirations for this school year include: becoming a decent slackliner, deepening a few friendships so that they will certainly last when I move away next year, and learning more about backpacking, lead climbing, healing, and Jesus. Recently I've developed a slight interest in the middle east.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.

My favorite color is green. I love peaches. My temporomandibular joint (jaw) pops every time I open my mouth. I like poetry and art museums, but wish I knew more about them. I prefer windows down over air conditioning. I have control freak tendencies and sleep with a stuffed dalmatian named major nelson and I secretly like the song "I Hope You Dance." I figure I should be worried about graduate school for next year, but I'm really not.

All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
(Psalm 139:13-16)

If He wants me in Seattle, He will make it happen. If not, I will go to Boone and hike every weekend and love it. (Until today I did not truly have peace about this)

This is me; I make no apologies. I was created this way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and i are so similar it is scary [but in a beautiful way].
yet the differences are astounding as well. the Lord is so creative in that way.
.plaid gets me too. as well as messenger bags and scruffy faces.
.meaningful song lyrics take my attention more than the melody.
.singing and dancing is a love, but even more so when it's with you.
.i want to be one of those friends that you deepen your relationship with, even though i already know it will last in spite of your move.
.my heart is also in seattle, though it knows no certainty concerning the very place.
.i want to become a better climber and am getting certified this year...we will date on the rocks.
.green is one of my favorite colors - in conjunction with orange.
.you know my thoughts on peaches...
.my temporomandibular pops every time i open my mouth too.
.i like art museams and plan on learning more about them this year.
.if He wants me in seattle, i will surely join you.

i love that this is you.

Anonymous said...

i love you.
typing it out just doesn't do it.
but i do.
and tonight's brief reunion was so good for my heart.
i'm ready to peach with you.
ps....i love the added verses.

Joanna Christmas said...

you truly are one of my favorite people. i love to read about you, mostly because you are so real. i see Christ just pouring out of your life and it thrills me.
boone, nc? we would be closer!! if thats even where you are talking about.
i miss you. trey does too. i want to hear about your trip.

Robby Christmas said...

a delightful description of God's intentional shaping of your passions for His beauty. I love it. This is the sort of expression that I believe will open doors to a world without the gospel, b/c it shows that we're real, and we love life. Also, I'm honored that you viewed my blog ... hope it doesn't bore you. Proud of you.