Saturday, July 12

DAS-vee DON-yeh

A wise friend of mine made a prediction when I first found out that I was going to Russia to work as a camp counselor. She said that she could "totally see me giving my heart to Russian children." Little did I know how right she would be. I gave it away yesterday as Susan and I left Dubinina. I was okay, and up until about half an hour before we left, you couldn't have told me that I would cry. But when one of my little girls asked me to promise that I wouldn't forget about them it was all over. The tears started pouring down my cheeks. How could I forget the beautiful little ones that had so touched my heart and shared their lives with me? How could I forget jumping rope and swimming in the freezing cold pool? How could I forget my Russian lessons and dance competitions every night? How could I forget their beautiful eyes and their sweet smiles and cheerful laughter?


I will never forget. I'm back in Moscow for two days - home on Monday. I promise to fill in the blanks in my story as soon as I get a chance. I'm looking forward to seeing you.

No comments: