Thursday, July 17

floating on the Lion's breath

Journal Entry from July 3, 2008:

She felt frightened only for a second. For one thing, the world beneath her was so very far away that it seemed to have nothing to do with her. For another, floating on the breath of the Lion was so extremely comfortable. She found she could lie on her back or on her face and twist any way she pleased, just as you can in water (if you've learned to float really well). And because she was moving at the same pace as the breath, there was no wind, and the air seemed beautifully warm. It was not in the least like being in an airplane, because there was no noise and no vibration. If Jill had ever been in a balloon she might have though it more like that; only better.

-from The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

In May I was driving to the airport to visit my friends, Robby and Joanna. It was sometime around 4:30 AM and still very dark. Where Are You Going by DMB came on shuffle and, ordinarily, I would have skipped it because, truth be told, I don't much care for the song. As I fumbled for the button, I felt a strong impression that I should not change it. Perhaps it was the Holy Spirit; I hesitate to say so because I'm still only learning that kind of discernment. At any rate, He had my attention, and as if the aforementioned song was the question, the answer came next: Breakfast in New York by Oppenheimer, a song that I had quite recently begun to associate with my trip to Russia. (I am a little embarrassed to admit that I had been thinking about graduate school before the answer came, a gentle reminder not to get ahead of myself, or, more importantly, Him, as well as a promise to go with me to Russia).

My trip is entering its final stages, and I've noticed that an attitude of mild disappointment and frustration has built up over the last few weeks. I have not been able to feel His Presence as I so often do in Athens (He is moving there). I haven't heard from Him in powerful or obvious ways, and I know that I've passed up several opportunities to share with some of my new friends. But this morning as I read this passage from The Silver Chair, I realized that I have been floating on the Lion's breath, figuratively speaking. Regardless of what I feel, the Lord has most definitely been here with me, protecting both my body and heart - teaching me through the stories of Narnia and through conversations with the people I've met this month. As always, He is good, and I am thankful that He has opened my eyes to catch a glimpse of that truth today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is moving in athens.
and everywhere else you bring Him.
i love you and look forward to a reunion.