Friday, May 23

western sunrise

I woke up early this morning - somewhere around 4:45 or so - and couldn't sleep anymore; I had too much on my mind. I walked into the kitchen and read emily dickinson for a while before resolving to take a walk on the beach and watch the sunrise. I even made a facebook status about it. (surprised?) Unfortunately, I dilly-dallied and before I knew it, the day had dawned. Somehow I missed the sky's fading from deep navy to pale blue, and suddenly I remembered watching the sunset over the water a few nights past. We're on the west side of the island.

It was just as well, though, because the thought of venturing out in the dark alone kind of scared me a little. Embarrassed by this childish feeling, I got dressed and began my walk. It was lovely to be alone in the quiet of the early morning coast; the sounds of the sea can hardly be called a distraction, and a gentle breeze swept away the South Carolina mugginess. I started to sing, but kept glancing nervously up and down the beach, wary of spectators, before I realized that I didn't care if anyone heard me.

Occasionally I would reach down to pick up the tiny seashells that the ebbing tide revealed - treasures for the hands of the tiny Russians that I'm certain will change my life in a few short weeks. God is so good, for as I turned back toward the place where I started from, the brilliant sun burst out from behind the eastern treeline. So often I expect very specific things from him, but when I hope in his promises, I am never disappointed.

No comments: