Wednesday, May 14

big jim

And I'm still waiting to meet a [guy] like my [dad] who's closer to my age. -mewithoutYou, Nice & Blue (Pt. Two)

Yesterday I woke up to an alarm for the first time in a while. The obnoxious ringing jerked me awake at 5:30, and within seven minutes I was driving down Thompson Bridge Road in the eerie early morning darkness. At 5:47, I pulled into the driveway of my dad's house, he hopped in the car, and we headed to the Y for spin class. I had taken my first dose of a typhoid vaccine the night before, and unfortunately my stomach couldn't handle the intensity paired with the live virus, so halfway through I went to walk on the treadmill while he finished up. About 25 minutes later, dad walked up to me and said "hey kirbylee, feeling up for some dips?" (He's helping me strengthen my arms for climbing.)

When we got home, I agreed to help out with some yard work, so we drove to Wal-Mart to purchase some grass seed, red mulch, and ivy. I didn't have any old clothes with me, so I had to borrow some of his. I like working with my dad, and yesterday had wonderful weather for working outside. There were moments when I considered dropping out of school to become a migrant worker.

At one point we were sitting side-by-side at the top of the small precipice in our backyard planting ivy that will hopefully grow down and hold the bank below. We laughed. We talked. We had a little system going. Patti came outside and captured this image of us.





Today, I got a flat tire on White Sulphur Road on my way to the Y. I called my dad, and he promised to come help me when my aerobics class was over. Sure enough, when I walked back out to the parking lot, he was sitting in/on the back of my car with the trunk popped. As I approached, he announced that I would be changing the tire, under his supervision since, technically, he'd already taught me how a year ago. The natural response probably would have involved some amount of grumbling, or even whining on my part, but the more I think about it, the more I am thankful for this experience. I changed a tire myself today. How many 19-year-old girls can do that? Thanks, dad, for being such a good teacher.

I am so very thankful for my father. When I was in elementary school, he would come in and read books to my class. I always remember him spending time with me. He is my friend. He offers great advice. I have learned a lot about the way that God loves me through my relationship with my dad. I am proud that he is my dad - proud to be seen with him in public - proud that, though he loves so many, he loves me special. I'm even proud that I look like him - flat spot, oval-shaped face, cow-lick, forward-growing hair and all! My dad is the greatest.


What is your's like?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my dad is incredibly busy at the office, but finds time to email me conversationally throughout the day.
my dad waits for my laughter at the jokes he knows no one else will laugh at, or he repeats it until he gains my approval.
my dad and i escape to waffle house and scary movies.
my dad cooked breakfast for me every morning i went to school until i graduated. still does when i come home.
i inherited many things from dad as well. some i like...my heart for missions and my humor...some that aren't my favorite...cow lick and his feet.
i love my dad too. he has shown me the image of my Heavenly Father.