Tuesday, March 25

Has Anyone Seen My Coat?

A page is turned in this world to reveal a little girl
With a heart that's bigger, as it is unfurled
By the language in her soul, that's teaching her to grow
With a careful cover of love that will not fail.
-Bebo Norman, A Page Is Turned

That's me.

I spent an hour or so today sitting in a tree, enjoying the glorious weather, and thinking. Interestingly, it was the same tree that I sat in last fall on the day I wrote my first facebook note. My, how things have changed. Before, I was impatiently waiting for much more than just autumn. Today, perched much higher (as I've become a stronger, more confident climber) in this dear old tree, I was able to be still and listen to the birds.

Soon I could hear the small group of musicians - some professors, some students - that has, in recent weeks, taken to playing together in the courtyard outside the ecology building on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Like most things unusual and unique, these fellows have taken up residence in a special place in my heart - especially the fiddlers and the old white-headed men with long beards and suspenders.

Springtime is upon us. I want to laugh when I think back to that day in September; I was so eager for winter, for the progression of life, for change. Figuratively, my winter came quickly, and was cold and dark. Fortunately, it did not last long. Sitting in that tree, I thought about one of my favorite scenes from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. After they cross The Great River, the group thinks they've lost Lucy, but she turns up, asking if anyone has seen her coat. They are all so relieved at her return that only Mrs. Beaver notices the flowers and trees blooming before their very eyes. "I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore!" she says.

See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling;
my beautiful one, come with me.
-Song of Songs 2:11-13

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know. you were right.
i love this.
in fact...it made my day so much better.
had to take my laptop around with me today for a stat test so i could study. and after too much studying and right before class, i read this, and it made me late, but more importantly, it made me smile. ha. thank you dear.
wesley tomorrow night?

Joanna Christmas said...

i know you wont believe this, but as i was reading your blog, i was thinking..my, that kirby, she is a good writer...i feel like i'm reading c.s. lewis...HONEST... and then, you mention the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. funny how things like that work. man, todays "young adults" are such deep writers. i must have come just a year or two too soon to have missed out on that skill...i'm sitting here with a conked out baby in my lap that is actually snoring (just like his dad who is sleeping on the couch) and i'm hoping that he will be a good writer, like you. your wonderful..

kirbylee said...

YES! Are you coming? Can we sit together? Oh, I can't wait! I need to praise the Lord in a corporate setting with loud music and other dancers.

Anonymous said...

yes. i will be there.
and jenny will be there.
the three of us and Jesus would be enough to make my heart dance, but all the extra stuff will be even more lovely! i'll call. love.
[sleep]

Anonymous said...

funny you chose that bebo song.. the God of second chances.. I'm thankful for that... btw that song was in Patti and I's wedding...big jim

Anonymous said...

your post kind of made me think of this. so, i was having a pretty evil day today. nothing was going well. then i got sent home from work because i did not have my belt... so i was not a happy man. while riding home i saw an Arden's Garden and decided i should stop and get a smoothie. then i just sat out by piedmont park sipping on a smoothie and enjoying the weather and all of the evilness of the day seemed to melt away. i love how a spring day can do that.
-charles

Lindsey said...

"Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown, or to any man or number of men-- go freely with powerful uneducated persons, and with the young, and with the mothers or families -- re-examine all you have been told in school or church or in any book, and dismiss whatever insults your own soul; and your very flesh shall be a great poem, and have the richest fluency, not only in its words, but in the silent lines of its lips and face, and between the lashes of your eyes, and in every motion and joint of your body." - Walt Whitman

I dunno... tree... Walt... it seemed to fit

kirbylee said...

Lindsey, that quote is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with me. I especially like the following lines:

"...stand up for the stupid and crazy ... re-examine all you have been told in school or church or in any book ... and your very flesh shall be a great poem..."

beautifully said.

And so began my ardent love affair with Walt Whitman.

Anonymous said...

i love the old men who play by the ecology building... their bluegrass makes me happy.