Thursday, March 5

whose life is this?

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who have set foot on African soil and those who have not. Over the course of the next 26 hours, I will make the transition from the latter to the former. I just took a geography midterm, walked to Aderhold, and am typing this in the mac lab while I wait for my next class to start. As soon as it is over, I will dash over to my apartment for a quick lunch, hop in the car, and drive to Atlanta where I will meet my grandparents at the airport (they've graciously offered to keep my car at their house so I don't have to pay for parking).

My first flight leaves Atlanta at 5:20 this afternoon and is scheduled to arrive in Paris at 7:55A tomorrow morning local time (1:55A EST). I just checked the availability: there are 13 seats open and I'm number 5 on the standby list, so it's looking pretty good.

Unfortunately, Charles De Gaulle International Airport and I do not get along very well, so I cannot say that I am looking forward to the 5+ hours I will be spending there tomorrow morning before my Air France* flight to Cairo leaves at 1:35P Friday (7:35A EST.) I should arrive at my final destination around 7:00P local time (12 noon EST).

I called to discuss my travel plans with my mother earlier this morning. The call ended with her saying something about being safe driving to the airport, as that, statistically speaking, will the most dangerous leg of my journey, and to not talk to any strange Parisians. Whose life is this?

*Or Air Chance, as my grandfather so affectionately refers to it.

1 comment:

Chelsey said...

Did you ever see Taken? I saw it a couple of days ago with my mom. If you haven't seen it, the girls get 'taken' because they told too much information to some French guy at the airport. So afterwards, my mother went on to lecture me about not talking to strange Parisian men when I go this summer.

I hope to eventually get into the category of those who have been to Africa! It might not be for quite a while though.