Sunday, September 7

patience, forgiveness, fruition and such

Patience, hard thing! the hard thing but to pray,
But bid for, Patience is! Patience who asks
Wants war, wants wounds; weary his times, his tasks;
To do without, take tosses, and obey.
Rare patience roots in these, and, these away,
Nowhere. Natural heart’s ivy, Patience masks
Our ruins of wrecked past purpose. There she basks
Purple eyes and seas of liquid leaves all day.

We hear our hearts grate on themselves: it kills
To bruise them dearer. Yet the rebellious wills
Of us we do bid God bend to him even so.
And where is he who more and more distils
Delicious kindness?—He is patient. Patience fills
His crisp combs, and that comes those ways we know.
-Gerard Manley Hopkins


This morning in church Andy Stanley talked about the paths we take and the destinations that they lead to. Sometimes we think about things as isolated events, when, more accurately, they are steps in one direction or another. During the entire sermon, I kept asking the Lord to show me where I was at fault in the steps I was taking, and I grew frustrated when I couldn't come up with anything.

Towards the end of the message, he made a statement that grabbed my attention: "Some of you chose the path of forgiveness a while ago, and you are just beginning to see the results of your obedience." Could this be me? Yes. Suddenly my eyes were opened to the perfection of the plan He had orchestrated. It's been months since He asked me to extend forgiveness. I never expected anything in return.

But apparently I forgot that Jesus is all about restoration; His timing is always perfect, and an old friendship that I had accepted as lost is being rebuilt. Alleluia.

Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. -Psalm 116:7

fruition
–noun
1.attainment of anything desired; realization; accomplishment: After years of hard work she finally brought her idea to full fruition.
2.enjoyment, as of something attained or realized.
3.state of bearing fruit.

1. consummation, accomplishment, fulfillment, achievement, completion, perfection, result.

No comments: