Thursday, September 18

summer's last stand

I found myself laughing as I ran out the door yesterday morning into the burst of cool September air, pulling my yellow sweater on with one arm, attempting to step more securely into my shoes, and untangling the twisted straps of my bag while juggling a raincoat and keys with my "free" hand. I was running late for discipleship. Let's take a step back and consider this: Kirby Lee running late??? I'm still surprised by the changes in myself. With all this seemingly misplaced laughter, I'm sure I'm adding to the number daily of people on campus that think I'm crazy.

This afternoon was too beautiful to be cooped up inside, so I headed over to the IM fields, where I sat in my newly acquired thermarest easychair in the partial shade of an oak tree on the side of the grassy hill overlooking Lake Herrick. I'm enjoying summer's last stand. After two cooler, overcast days we've been afforded a sunny one with a nice breeze. The moment felt perfect: the wind tossing my hair into my eyes, the grass tickling my toes, and the afternoon sunlight dancing on my shoulders with the shadow of the tree above me. Autumn is just around the corner, and I'm certainly looking forward to it, but I must admit that I am a little sad about peach season's end.

I've entered into my last set of seasons in Northeast Georgia, and I want to savor every smell, to drink in the colors, to imprint the sounds of this place forever in my mind for easy access next year when I've moved on to the next adventure in my life. Perhaps its this desire paired with the fact that I was fortunate enough to spend six of the southeast's hottest weeks this summer away from home that's making me want to cling to summer for the next few days. But then I remember that Autumn is my favorite -- a season of change.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:

A time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace. ...

...He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, 11
(sorry for ripping off your idea)

No comments: