Friday, August 15

more distinctive colors

The weight of lies will bring you down
And follow you to every town
Cause nothing happens here that doesn’t happen there
So when you run make sure you run
To something and not away from
Cause lies don’t need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere
-The Avett Brothers, Weight of Lies

Yesterday when I was driving to Athens I heard this song for the first time and these words caught my ear. Suddenly two lines had summed up the way I had been feeling about Seattle for the past couple of days that I couldn't quite put into words. In February, I wrote a post called
Ready To Stand. In it I talked about all of the new things I was trying at that point in my life; everything from yoga and climbing to painted fingernails and piano.

Seattle was on the list. It was important and healthy for me to try all of these things, and some of them I've stuck with and have grown passionate about. Others of them have fallen away along my journey, Seattle being the most recent. If I'm honest with myself, I know I am not a city girl, and a view of Mt. Rainier, although gorgeous, couldn't cut it for me. As I grow into the person that the Lord created me to be, I'm learning that I cannot, am not supposed to, and don't want to fit a mold. (Me, unique? How incredibly lovely!)

"Mackenzie, the pattern of color and light is unique to each person; no two are alike and no pattern is ever the same twice. Here, we are able to see each other truly, and part of seeing means that individual personality and emotion is visible in color and light."
"This is incredible!" Mack exclaimed. "Then why are the children's colors mostly white?"
"As you near them you will see that they have many individual colors that have merged into white, which contains all. As they mature and grow to become who they really are, the colors they exhibit will become more distinctive, and unique hues and shades will emerge."

-from The Shack, by William P. Young

So I think I've resolved not to waste time worrying about what's going to happen next year. This morning I woke up to an orange sunrise and the smell of fresh basil in my new apartment. I am so grateful for my precious friends sleeping the rooms next to mine. My old habit of incess ant planning almost cost me the opportunity to live with them again this year, but the Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. (Psalm 116:5)

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. -Proverbs 19:21

No comments: