Tuesday, August 12

a surprising direction

Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading. -Oswald Chambers

I went to Seattle yesterday. Yes, for one day, or more accurately, ten hours. The night before Big Jim and I left, I was feeling nervous, and so I asked a friend to pray for me. He reminded me of one of my favorite passages in Matthew 6 by asking a simple question: Does God not feed the birds? Almost immediately I began to feel the anxiety lifted off my chest and I was able to sleep in peace, reminded of the Lord's sovereignty over this situation.

The next morning on the plane, after wasting some time playing bejeweled, I began to pray, asking the Lord for clarity during the day. I wanted to love Seattle, but I was also afraid that I would. You see, I can be incredibly stubborn, and although I know that His plans cannot be thwarted, it's still a nicer experience to listen from the beginning than to rebel and undergo correction. I wanted to hear from the Lord while I was in Seattle, one way or another. Was I supposed to go there?

"Come near to me and listen to this: from the first announcement I have not spoken in secret; at the time it happens, I am there." -Isaiah 48:16

When we arrived on campus, I didn't feel that magical spark that I expected. I didn't dislike what I had seen so far by any means, but I also didn't love it in the way that I wanted to. The Speech and Hearing Sciences building was beautiful - covered in ivy and full of character. The weather was atypical for even an August Seattle day - sunny with a high of 75. I enjoyed the meeting with some of the faculty members, and I have no doubt about the quality of this program. But UW's campus reminded me so much of UGA, and although I've grown to love my school, I've always said that North Georgia would have been a more natural fit for me if only it were a little further away from home.

This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go." -Isaiah 48:17

As our day on the west coast drew to a close, I found myself with an unexpected feeling. I wanted very badly to visit Appalachian State, the school that my friend Brooke (she is going to laugh when she hears this) and I have joked about going to for the last six months or so. Mom and I are planning a trip to Boone at the end of September.

It seems He is directing me.
It's just that the direction is a little surprising.
I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I like the pic... very abstract. I'm also glad that you won't be spending the next couple of years in the northwest.