Sunday, April 13

Physics 1010

Did you feel the mountains tremble?
Did you hear the oceans roar?
When the people rose to sing of
Jesus Christ the risen one

I was listening to this song as I drove down Prince Avenue this morning on my way home to Athens. As I listened to the words, an inexplicable surge of joy and hope filled my heart; I literally had to open the windows to make space for it. God is moving in my heart and in our city.

Did you feel the people tremble?
Did you hear the singers roar?
When the lost began to sing of
Jesus Christ the risen one


I spent my first year on this campus somewhat reluctantly. My goal was to get an education and move on with life; my heart was elsewhere - preoccupied - one might say. But He called me back to Him. the minor fall. The Major Lift. Transformation. Restoration. He has done great things. But it's so not about me, and greater things have yet to come.


And we can see that God you're moving
A mighty river through the nations
And young and old will turn to Jesus
Fling wide your heavenly gates
Prepare the way of the risen Lord

I am tired of my self-absorption. I am tired of being so caught up in my own life that I find myself ignoring the marvelous things the God is doing all around me: healing, revival, salvation. For too long I've looked away, or worse, rolled my spiritual eyes at these things. For too long I've brushed shoulders with and sat in classrooms next to people with my shameful lack of compassion. It's time to join with Him. It's time I open my heart and learn to see individual people instead of a sea of faces or a mass of students. It's time to believe in His power. It's time to stop wasting time. It's time to start fighting for them. It's time to be that kid that stops in the middle of the race to help another kid that tripped.

Open up the doors and let the music play
Let the streets resound with singing
Songs that bring your hope
Songs that bring your joy
Dancers who dance upon injustice


Athens seems like such a dark place sometimes. But He is the God of this city. He has a plan for us. I am so thankful to be a part of it. I only have one more year here, but I am so excited to see God do in this city what he has done in my heart. (and greater things)

Did you feel the darkness tremble?
When all the saints join in one song
And all the streams flow as one river
To wash away our brokeness


My friend and I are going to start meeting before physics to pray for our classmates. Will you join us?

And here we see that God you're moving
A time of Jubilee is coming
When young and old return to Jesus
Fling wide your heavenly gates
Prepare the way of the risen Lord



3 comments:

Joanna Christmas said...

...and thats what its all about. (no, i'm not singing the hokey pokey) seriously though, it sounds like God is teaching us the same lesson right now.

Anonymous said...

thank you for writing this. so encouraging.

Lindsey said...

Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down,
that the mountains would tremble before you!

As when fire sets twigs ablaze
and causes water to boil,
come down to make your name known to your enemies
and cause the nations to quake before you!

For when you did awesome things that we did not expect,
you came down, and the mountains trembled before you.

Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.

_Isaiah 64:1-4

Good blog, Kirbylee. The new (or renewed) zeal that you had gained when you got back from Passion last weekend was (and is) encouraging to be around!