Monday, April 14

equipped

Although it is possible to explain most of the tiny miracles that happen in our lives with technical terminology, understanding these mechanisms is not a prerequisite for their functional utilization. Children need not understand complex syntactical rules of grammar in order to start forming sentences. I remember the first time I ever heard the word "conjugate," and I can assure you that I had been successfully conjugating English verbs for at least twelve years prior to that moment. It is not necessary to know that the contraction of the cricoarytenoid and thyroarytenoid muscles creates the longitudinal tension necessary to increase the frequency of vocal fold vibration; you can still raise your pitch. We do not have to be familiar with the neural pathways that carry visual input to the cortex of occipital lobe for sensory processing before we can use our vision. My supernatural sense of smell is not a result of my limited knowledge of the olfactory nerve, and I can assure you that understanding neuromuscular physiology and plasticity has not made me a better piano player.

We are anatomically equipped to use all of these things that we do not understand. So are we spiritually equipped to use things we do not understand as well? Equipped to Love? To tap into the power of the Holy Spirit? To Heal? To pray His will? To extend mercy? To forgive? To interpret the Word of God? To hear His voice?

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the father.
-Jesus (John 14:12)

I believe so.

No comments: