Wednesday, June 11

breakfast in new york

Breakfast in New York
And I know that we’re dreaming
Drunken conversations and the things we were scheming
To get out of this town and take a trip underground
-Oppenheimer

Spent the last two days in the big apple. The city is surprisingly beautiful in the summer - trees line many of the streets, and the park is full of thick green grass. It's hot. 102 yesterday. In Yoshkar-Ola it was snowing, so we're looking forward to perhaps some cooler weather in a few days.

I've never spent any time here in the summer, nor have I been to the upper west side. It's like an entirely different city altogether. Columbia is like a little garden. The campus is quiet. I have a great view out of my window in my room on the east side of the eighth floor. Dad flew up here with me yesterday and we visited the Museum of Natural History and ate sandwiches in the park. I've really enjoyed getting to know my travel-class-mates: Renee, Susan, Amy, Denny, Jacob, Taylor, and Darcy. Last night we went to a Mets game. Renee, Darcy, Amy, and I made a trip down to Herald Square this afternoon. Tonight we're going to eat at a cuban restaurant a couple blocks from here on Broadway.

Tomorrow is going to be the longest mega-day of my life. I'll wake up at 5:00 AM, catch the M-60 bus at the corner of Broadway and 116th to La Guardia - fly to Atlanta at 9:00 AM, arrive around 11:30 AM, meet dad at Hartsfield, depart for Moscow at 4:30 PM, arrive at 10:30 AM the next day. My plan is to sleep as much as possible.

I miss you all and will update as soon as possible.

No comments: